erin judge writes this

My photo
I'm Erin Judge. I'm a comedian and a writer. I live in Los Angeles. Let's hug.

May 22, 2014

personal best

I've been doing stand-up for over a decade now, and I have gotten to enjoy a few fun Hollywood highlights along the way. And indeed, sleeping in hotel rooms paid for by television networks never really gets old. But, like wedding days and first trips to the Eiffel Tower, the big shiny moments in a comedy career are fleeting and mostly symbolic.

So today I want to share a couple of my own personal highlights: the times when I felt proudest and happiest, those moments I felt like a real fucking comedian.

March 15, 2014
I told jokes about being bisexual and being raised in a gay household here:

the fox in anderson sc

That would be The Fox in Anderson, South Carolina. Because fuck it, why not? And the crowd laughed and had a good time, as I figured they would, because I work really hard to make that stuff as relatable and funny as possible. Afterwards, a young employee came up, shook my hand and thanked me. She told me she was the only out bartender in town. She said my set meant a lot to her. That pretty much made my life.

June 29, 2012
I was featuring for Baron Vaughn at the Arlington Drafthouse outside DC when this famously huge storm rolled in. I was about halfway through my set when all the power went out. No mic and no lights. So I projected my voice and started cracking jokes about the odd and terrifying situation we all found ourselves in. The audience laughed and relaxed a bit, and then they started lifting up their cell phones and shining them at me. I kept the show going until the lights and sound came back on. Once Baron got on stage, I walked up to David Tveite (who did a guest set earlier), and we just shook our heads and smiled at each other. I think neither of us could quite believe what had just happened.

And I'm proud of some other stuff that falls outside the typical range of comedy credits, like putting together shows in more than 40 cities with the Pink Collar Comedy Tour which we produce entirely on our own, or being the first ever Comic in Residence at the Comedy Studio, or moderating some pretty feisty panels at the Women in Comedy Festival in 2012 and 2014.

I'm super excited to be one of the Top 100 on Last Comic Standing, and I'm also really psyched to be on the latest Put Your Hands Together podcast. But moments like those are the shiny ones, and ultimately we comedians have very little control over when that cool stuff comes along. I think all of us should be proudest of surviving tough situations on stage, turning the room around, winning the crowd over, and, most of all, just plain ol' making people laugh. That's the very best part, and it happens all the time.