erin judge writes this

My photo
I'm Erin Judge. I'm a comedian and a writer. I live in Los Angeles. Let's hug.

June 26, 2013

tens of thousands of children

"The differentiation [between heterosexual and homosexual couples] demeans the [homosexual] couple, whose moral and sexual choices the Constitution protects, see Lawrence, 539 U. S. 558, and whose relationship the State has sought to dignify. And it humiliates tens of thousands of children now being raised by same-sex couples. The law in question makes it even more difficult for the children to understand the integrity and closeness of their own family and its concord with other families in their community and in their daily lives." 
- Justice Kennedy, United States v. Windsor (via Andrew Sullivan)
Growing up in the North Dallas suburbs, I struggled to keep my gay family a secret from friends, peers, my teachers, and my community. Today, Justice Kennedy used the unfairness of my situation to justify the elevation of same-sex marriage rights to the federal level. He affirmed my dignity and the dignity of others like me, not to mention that of my parents.

I'm incredibly moved and grateful. 

[update: 11:46am]

I still can't believe it. I seriously keep crying. The Supreme Court just said the greatest struggle of my adolescence was humiliating and unfair. I haven't felt this validated by anything since Daria.





No comments: